Obtaining a Licence for your Event

Found a venue for your event but the venue doesn’t have the appropriate licence for your event to take place?

Here’s some information from the council relating to Temporary Event Notices (TENs) so that your event can take place:

Are you holding a small event? Temporary event notices (TENs) enable small-scale, ad-hoc events involving the sale and/or supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment or provision of late night refreshment to take place without the need for a licence.

TENS are subject to certain limitations:

  • events covered by a TEN can last up to 168 hours and must involve no more than 499 people.anyone over 18 can apply for a maximum of five TENs per year. Personal Licence holders can apply for a maximum of 50 TENS per year. both licensed and unlicensed venues can hold up to 12 TENs per year or 21 days, whichever is the greater.

If your temporary event notice is for an event wholly or partly in the open air, please submit a scale plan clearly identifying the area to be used with your notice to the licensing team, police and environmental health. The scale need not be 1:100, but it must clearly show the location and delineate the area intended to be used.

You also need to notify the owner of the premises you are using that you are giving a temporary events notice and obtained any necessary public liability insurance for your event.

Temporary Event Notice restrictions

The legislation restricts several important aspects of temporary event notices these include:

  • No more than 499 people at any one time (including performers, staff etc.) may attend an event authorised by a temporary event notice
  • Each temporary event notice may only last for maximum period of 168 hours
  • No more than 12 temporary event notices may be given in a calendar year for particular premises
  • temporary event notices may only authorise events at particular premises for a maximum of 21 days per calendar year
  • There must be an interval of not less than 24 hours between temporary event notices at particular premises
  • The individual giving the temporary event notice must be over 18
  • An individual may not give more than 5 temporary event notices in one calendar year, of which no more than 2 may be late TEN
  • If an individual holds a personal licence for the sale of alcohol, the limits are 50 temporary event notice of which no more than 10 may be late TEN
  • On receipt of a temporary event notice, if the proposed event is not within the restrictions, a counter notice will be issued and the event will not be authorised.

It is possible to give a temporary event notice for any premises, including those which already have premises licences or club premises certificates. The temporary event notice will need to state the dates and times when licensable activities are to take place.

www.brighton-hove.gov.uk (July 2015)
www.southampton.gov.uk (July 2015)

How can Prop help?

Both Kerry and Robbie are Personal Licence holders so will be able to apply for Temporary Event Notices to enable your event to take place.  Simply get in touch with us and we’ll arrange a no obligation consultation with you to make the relevant arrangements.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *